What is a REO timeline?
A REO timeline is a sequence of events that culminate with the sale of the REO property.
The REO timeline starts when a property owner stops making mortgage payments to a lender. The lender then eventually forecloses the property and takes possession of the property.
Once the lender takes title to the property, the property becomes a REO property. The lender will next list the property for sale. A buyer purchases the REO property and the timeline is complete.
Main steps in the REO timeline
- Property owner falls behind paying for the property's mortgage
- Property owner fails to negotiate a short sale
- Lender forecloses on the property
- Lender takes title to the foreclosed property
- Lender offers the property for sale
- Buyer purchases the property